Saturday, September 02, 2006

Sparrows

“Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.” (Matthew 10:29-31)

I had a few minutes recently to try out some of features of my digital camera. Just outside of our dining room is a thistle seed feeder, suet feeder and a humming bird feeder. I enjoy watching the comings and goings at the bird feeders while I am at mine. This seemed a likely spot to do some photography. One picture (above) was just a quick shot without much thought. As was reviewing my pictures later my mind wandered to the verses above. Even though Brian informs me that this is female purple finch and not a sparrow it still reminded me of the verse above. For those of us who tend toward worry or feelings of being devalued, then this is a comforting reality. God knows about and cares for this little feathery one, and also us who not only carry the creative design of God (how much engineering would it take to design and build something that can flies that only weighs 6 ounces?) but also carry the image of God, and hence the greater value placed on us. These verses also indicate that the omniscience of God (the numbering of the hairs on our heads) is proof positive of His ability to carry out His favorable care for us. He knows and He cares. We should know this as well. To the lovely lady perched in my picture – thanks for the reminder.

No comments: