Sunday, December 19, 2010

New Ministry for Me

Someone once said if you want to make God laugh show him your five-year plan. Life is not always what we expect but as we follow Him it is always blessed. As many of you know this year has been a time of unexpected changes in my ministry life. I concluded my 2+ years of ministry in the pulpit of Bible Center Church in April. In August, I completed my 12 years of ministry at BCC. I have spent the last months traveling, (including a wonderful time serving missionaries in South America) and accelerating work on my Doctorate Degree.

Now the Lord has revealed what the next step in my ministry is to be. Through a remarkable set of God-controlled events I will begin serving as Interim Pastor of Mount Calvary Baptist Church in Charleston beginning in January. Pastor David Mitchell has served there wonderfully and faithfully for the past 24 years and is retiring the last Sunday of 2010. Mount Calvary Baptist has served in the Kanawha Valley for more than 100 years. The Church is blessed with a wonderful staff and excellent facilities located just off the Westmoreland Exit of I77 (one exit north of the 77 - 64 split). I will begin filling the pulpit on Sunday January 2nd and after the service on Jan. 9 the congregation will vote on the recommendation of the Deacons to approve this. I am looking forward to getting to know and serve the people who worship at Mount Calvary.

Another development is that Mount Calvary Baptist will also launch a Sunday morning broadcast on AM58 WCHS on January 2nd from 7:30-8:00 a.m. This spot has been served by Pastor Bobby Sizemore as a ministry of Elkview Baptist Church for many years, and I will do my best to continue to serve the listeners with quality Bible teaching in that location and time. Listen in if you get the chance.

While I wait for the Lord to direct to an opportunity for a full-time and permanent ministry I am excited to tackle this next task. I would appreciate your prayers in these next days. Thank you so much for all of the love and encouragement so many of you have shown over the past months.

Blessings,
Pastor Jesse Waggoner

2 comments:

Merrill said...

We are praising the Lord for this new ministry opportunity for you. We pray that you will have a very fruitful ministry

David MItchell said...

Pastor Jesse, I am praying for you to be a huge blessing to the church I love and have served 24 years. The time comes for the mantle to be passed, and I feel that time had come. I'll be praying for you Sunday as you step into the pulpit to feed the flock of God. Blessings on you.
David MItchell