Friday, October 20, 2006

Banjos and Blessings

Forty-three adventurous souls have just completed the BCC Senior Saints Fall Foliage Tour. It was great time in the mountains and touring by bus and train. One stop was at the American Mountain Theater (www.americanmountaintheater.com) for an evening of fun and music. The picture is of Joe Gainer on the banjo; Joe is an accomplished banjo player as well as a comedian. While listening to Joe and the rest of the bluegrass group, “Hardly Ever.” I recalled a quote I heard sometime ago. Someone said that they could not imagine someone being sad and playing the banjo. I agree it is just generally seems like a happy instrument. As I reflected a little deeper I wonder what people think of me (or if you are brave…insert your name) do they see someone they just can’t imagine being sad, or is there some less positive emotion on display?

I do know that my emotional disposition is connected to my focus. If I focus on what I don’t have, can’t do, etc. I end up playing in a minor key. If I choose to focus on the ever-present blessings of God and trust in His care and plan then I am a lot more like the ol five-string! Keep on picking!

Philippians 4:4 “Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.”

No comments: