Saturday, August 05, 2006

Brain Food




“Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” Phil. 4:8

There is an old saying that says, “You are what you eat.” We should be purposeful with our diets. We should also be purposeful with what we allow into our minds. We should not feed on the things of the “flesh,” but rather the things of the “Spirit.” We are encouraged in Scripture to be spiritually minded and avoid the pain of living a life that does not have a Spirit focus.

Perhaps this would be a good opportunity for you to evaluate the quality of your thought life. Here are a few questions that may help: 1. If my every thought were made public, would I be pleased? 2. How often does my relationship to God make it into my thoughts? 3. Does the content of my private thoughts include private prayer to God? 4. How much spiritually-wholesome material do I put into my mind verses how much that may be neutral or harmful? 5. Do my entertainment choices enhance a spiritual mind or detract from it? 6. Is there anything currently in my thought life that I need to confess and forsake? 7. What is one thing I could read, listen to, or watch that would make my thoughts more God-focused?

No comments: